National Transport Medical Institute (National Transport Medical Institute Act No. 25 of 1997)
Date Established : 01.01.1999
Vision : “Healthy Driver behind Each Steering Wheel”
Services rendered by the Institute
- Issuing medical certificates to all applicants for heavy-duty vehicle driving licence.
- Issuing medical certificates to applicants for renewing driving licences.
- Issuing medical certificates to the applicants seeking route permits.
- Issuing medical certificates to applicants for light vehicle driving licences.
- Issuing medical certificates for employees at the time of new recruitments and confirmation in the posts.
- Issuing medical certificates in respect of the drivers who have involved in fatal and critical injury accidents, and referred by the police stations and courts situated Island wide.
- Providing medical facilities for the institutions coming under the purview of the Ministry.
- Provision of X-ray and ECG facilities.
- Conducting medical examinations of drivers above 40 years old who are referred by the SLTB depots to ensure their physical fitness for further engaging them on duties.
- Conducting medical examinations and issuing medical certificates at the time of reinstating relevant employees of the SLTB Depots who are interdicted on disciplinary grounds.
- Conducting various laboratory investigations when necessity arises.